As we slowly say "so long" to sweet, summer strawberries and appetizing asparagus, it’s time to say "hello!" to savoury squash and delicious apples! With the arrival of fall comes the change in flavour palettes and recipe choices. Check out these amazingly autumnal, budget-friendly recipes filled with cinnamon spiced delicacies and pumpkin flavoured treats!
- Squasage: Squasage is, as it sounds: Squash + Sausage! The idea is simple yet ingenious! Simply cook two acorn squash and stuff them with a delicious blend of ground sausage, vegetables and a little egg to bind the whole thing nicely. Top with some cheese and voilà! What a great way to use that abundant, reasonably-priced, fall veggie! Check out the recipe for Squasage here, courtesy of Allrecipes.com!
- Apple Cider Chicken: Caramelized apples? Yes please! Seared chicken? Yum! Bubbly apple cider? Ooh la la! Add a dash of rosemary and your entire house begins to smell like fall! And the best part of this scrumptious Apple Cider Chicken recipe, thanks to Well Plated by Erin, is that the entire dish cooks up in one, easy-to-clean pan! How do you like them apples!
- Orecchiette with Pancetta, Pumpkin and Broccoli Rabe: Is it even considered fall if you don’t have some pumpkin? We didn’t think so. Anne Burrell, of Food Network Fame, cooked up this mouthwatering comfort dish that perfectly blends the saltiness of pancetta, the comfort of pasta (if you don’t have orecchiette noodles on hand, simply replace with any small-sized pasta), and even adds a superfood and culinary hero: broccoli rabe! The kids won’t even realize how healthy this dish is since it tastes soooo good! Get the recipe here.
SNACKS AND SIDE DISHES:
- French Onion and Apple Grilled Cheese: Looking for a quick, late-night snack? Or perhaps a nice, comforting lunch? Check out this recipe which puts an autumnal spin on a popular classic! By combining a little bit of savoury, a little bit of sweet, and an extra dash of salty, this might just be the perfect grilled cheese for fall! Check out the recipe for French Onion and Apple Grilled Cheese from Half Baked Harvest.
- Chili Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes: Can you even read the title of this side dish without your mouth watering a little? Move over, potato skins, we have a new fall tater in town! From the kitchens of the Food Network, this recipe for Chili Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is the perfect side to just about any main dish.
- Butternut Squash Bruschetta: After putting a fall-time spin on a classic grilled cheese, it’s time to take another classic and “autumn-ify” it! By switching out the classic tomatoes and instead opting for a fall staple like butternut squash, the reinvented classic becomes a true autumnal superstar! Check out the Bon Appetit recipe for Butternut Squash Bruschetta here!
- Pumpkin Cupcakes: Move over pumpkin spice latte, there is a new pumpkin sheriff in town! Say hello to a cinnamon-y, cream chees-y, pumpkin-y delight! These cupcakes are a must-try this fall! And, if you are a true pumpkin lover, why not indulge in one of these while sipping a pumpkin spice latte on the side! Thank you, Sally’s Baking Addiction, for bringing these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting into our lives!
- Skillet Caramel Apple Pie: There is seriously nothing more comforting on a beautiful autumn day than a freshly baked apple pie. Even the scent of it is reminiscent of childhood and jumping in a big pile of colourful leaves! So, why not give this important classic a little upgrade by adding some sweet, sticky caramel to the mix. Check out this enticing recipe, courtesy of Southern Living, for Skillet Caramel Apple Pie.
- Autumn Spice Cake: Made with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, this recipe will aromatize your entire house with the soothing scents of fall! Decorate with leaf-shaped sprinkles or chocolate shavings and you have a dessert worthy of a spot as a centrepiece! Thank you, Country Living, for this irresistible recipe that we cannot wait to dig a fork into! Check out the recipe for Autumn Spice Cake here.
- Gingerbread Hot Chocolate: Who doesn’t love a warm hot chocolate while nibbling on a fresh gingerbread cookie? What if there was a way to combine the two? Well, good news! There is! This recipe, thanks to the geniuses at Food Network, combines the fall flavours of gingerbread with the year-round deliciousness of a hot chocolate! Find out how to make a Gingerbread Hot Chocolate here.
- Spiced Pumpkin Mocha: In keeping with our trend of putting interesting spins on fall classics, it would have been unthinkable to leave out the number one fall classic: Pumpkin Spice Latte! Except, we have yet again re-invented it a little and turned it into a Spiced Pumpkin Mocha! Check out how to make this fall staple Spiced Pumpkin Mocha here. Oh, and don’t forget the whipped cream!
- Hot Buttered Cider: Looking to warm up on a chilly autumn day? Try a hot, buttery drink like this Hot Buttered Cider recipe from The View From Great Island. This is the absolute perfect drink for curling your fingers around a mug, putting on some comfy pjs and snuggling under a warm blanket.
Summer is a wonderful season, but fall isn’t without its amazing qualities. From apple-picking to scenic drives to admire the fall foliage to dressing up for Halloween, there is a lot to look forward to in the coming months. And if finances are what you are struggling with these days, iCASH is available 24/7 with instant loan solutions for any emergency situations. Get all the details for your quick cash needs at iCASH.ca.